Re: HTML 5

> That depends on the cases you are looking at. As I already mentioned,

the injection concern arises only for a corner subset of cases; which

are in addition blatant examples of bad design.

Not at all, I've given a perfectly acceptable example (wrapping user content
is a CDATA -- which actually I thought was *your* suggestion -- to avoid
having to deal with it at all other than ]]>). It's not something I would do
(because I want markup on contributed content), but I wouldn't call it bad
design.

That's the whole thing about the sanitizing issue. It's just a corner

case triggered by such a degree of bad design that the page probably

deserves to miserably break. But CDATA addresses the case, while <code

type="html"> doesn't; so it's a *minor* plus for CDATA over <code...>.

Agreed we've put the issue to rest. Disagree that escaping the content in
some element (which I don't like for other reasons) would be impossible. But
we can just disagree.

I think you're right about what the spec is trying to say about > and CDATA
sections. Could use some wordsmithing. :-) But basically: There is no way
*at all* to render ]]> within a CDATA section, because it ends the section
if it's unescaped, and there is no escaping of any kind within a CDATA
section. The only thing you can do is end the section, emit the string, and
start a new section (your "]]>]]&gt;<![CDATA["), which has implications for
anything working with the document tree, which will not see the text as
continuous. (That's not necessarily a problem.)

No character entities has implications for Georg's authoring tool (a simple
text editor, I guess, since otherwise it would be doing all of the escaping
for him anyway).

I recommend we three (you, Arthur, and I) leave it and encourage someone
else to comment. For my part, I see very limited utility (but yes, a little)
in a mechanism along these lines, and if a mechanism is to be defined at
all, I think it makes sense to use one that's already defined (CDATA) as
opposed to creating something new.
--
T.J. Crowder
Independent Software Consultant