Re: Alternate syntax for defining class attribute

Hi,

Thanks for your thoughts on this. Some notes below:

Firstly, I’m not sure the syntax is valid SGML or XML – the two
> serializations that HTML5 supports (I’m assuming the “HTML” serialization is
> based upon SGML, like HTML 4 was).

HTML5 is no longer a formulation of SGML.[1][2] Although the language has
since been changed, an editor's draft from last year[3] summed things up
well I thought:

The HTML syntax is loosely based upon the older, though very widely used
> syntax from HTML 4.01. Although it is inspired by its SGML origins, in
> practice, it really only shares minor syntactic similarities. This features
> a range of shorthand syntaxes, designed to make hand coding more convenient,
> such as allowing the omission of some optional tags and attribute values.
> Authors are free to choose whether or not they wish to take advantage of
> these shorthand features based upon their own personal preferences.

I'm fine with this new syntax not being valid in XHTML, with it being
another of those "...shorthand syntaxes, designed to make hand coding more
convenient." There are already substantial differences between the two
syntaxes. Probably one of the most relevant is that XML requires attributes
to be in quotes[4], HTML does not.[5] That's a very similar parsing
difference; but there are several others.

Secondly, there would be a significant problem with
> backwards-compatibility...I know of many institutions, including my own
> employer, that still has IE6 on the desktop).

Oh, you don't have to tell me about IE6. :-) I'm constantly running into
people thinking they can disregard IE6 on a publicly-facing website, and
constantly having to point out the inconvenient truth of IE6's ~18% market
share.

That said, I think the realities are changing. Microsoft (hi, guys!) is much
more engaged in moving forward with the browser than they have been in ten
years, being much more engaged and proactive, and the other big browsers are
very engaged and proactive as well. But as I said I think in my original,
original proposal (and I can't stress this enough): It's a case of author
beware. You don't use this syntax unless you know your target browser
supports it. Just like CSS's attribute selectors not too long ago (speaking
of IE6). Just like the `Array#indexOf` method of ECMAScript 5th edition.

Thirdly, there’s the mixing of semantics and presentation...

I'm not following you there -- how is this any more mixing semantics and
presentation than the class attribute itself? -- but I think the root of the
confusion or disagreement is this: I'm not suggesting that we change the tag
names to *include* the class. A span is a span is a span, a section is a
section is a section. I'm suggesting we allow the class to be specified (*
after* and not as a part of) the tag name, with an alternate syntax. (More
below.)

Finally, a further thought on tag names: the element’s start and end tags
> are, I believe, required to have the same name.

In <span.nifty>foo</span>, the element name is span (or, canonically, SPAN)
not span.nifty.

The tag’s name (which, as far as I understand, is every valid identifier
> character up to the first whitespace, or the end of the tag, whichever comes
> first)...

Valid characters for a tag name are A-Z, a-z, and 0-9.[6] The dot signifies
the end of the tag name. This is not a change, although it may be a change
for implementations. What *would* be a change required by this proposal is
to add to the rules in section  8.1.2.1.[7] Currently a tag name can only
have the characters I mentioned before, but is required to be terminated
with one of two things: a space, or a >. I'm saying make it three things.

A good way to look at this conceptually is:

* Allow tag names to be terminated with the dot
* Allow the dot as an alias to class
* Conflate multiple class attributes on an element

Small changes, and yes some implementations will take a while to do them
(caveat author!), but this is a long game.

[1] http://www.w3.org/QA/2008/01/html5-is-html-and-xml.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/syntax.html#parsing
[3] http://dev.w3.org/html5/html-author/#syntactic-overview
[4] http://www.w3.org/TR/xml/#NT-AttValue