Re: WCAG considering amending F65 to NOT fail missing ALT text if title or aria-label is present

The Techniques doc
http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-TECHS/
should first document this as a sufficient ARIA technique for SC 1.1.1 before the failure can be documented.

As commented in the survey feedback,  it is important to provide guidance to developers when two or more attributes for text alt are present in the code. I suppose both alt and aria-labelledby / aria-label / title should be identical. Aria-describedby should be different from the alt.

Yet,
I have read and re-read the Intro to Aria
http://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria/introduction
and every time come away with the  conclusion that  ARIA is meant for rich content that cannot be marked ordinarily by HTML only. And these elements are interactive elements that have role, state, attributes besides name, description. The ARIA specs repeatedly identifies these as objects or custom widgets:
"The incorporation of WAI-ARIA is a way for an author to provide proper semantics for custom widgets to make these widgets accessible, usable, and interoperable with assistive technologies. This specification identifies the types of widgets and structures that are commonly recognized by accessibility products,..."
A critical ingredient is the "role", so when one repurposes a standard HTML element as something with a new role, ARIA kicks in.
"Roles are a common property of platform accessibility APIs
 which assistive technologies use to provide the user with effective presentation and interaction. This role taxonomy includes interaction widgets and elements denoting document structure."
"States and properties are used to declare important attributes of an element that affect and describe interaction."
So "interactivity" seems to course through every vein of ARIA.
And there's lot of rich interactive content  that can be made accessible with ARIA  when browsers and AT implement the specs uniformly.
That's where efforts should be focussed.
So from the reading of the ARIA specs I do not think fixing the alternative text for a plain non interactive image is its primary goal.

A bigger concern is the accessible name / text alternative computation  logic (identified as a feature at risk):the logic makes the ARIA attributes take precedence over native elements / attributes. The logic is fine for elements that have been repurposed with a new ARIA role; else the native markup should take precedence.

Regards,
Sailesh Panchang