Re: Long descriptions spec - a basic idea

On 09/21/2012 01:23 PM, Leif H Silli wrote:
> To avoid that confusion, I suggest to replace "ghetto" with "community".
> The RDFa + HTML spec is defined by the RDFa community. As our spec would
> be defined by the A11Y community.

For what it is worth, a number of members of W3C Management have talked
in terms of an "Open Web Platform Family" of specifications.  ARIA, SVG,
and MathML are examples of full peers -- ones that can be implemented
independent of HTML yet depending on your target audience your
implementation of the open web platform is not quite as complete as
others if you chose not to implement them.

I'll note that HTML+RDFa 1.1 and HTML Microdata are not quite peers in
the same sense.

Whether this TF decides to pursue one or both of a "HTML longdesc" or a
"Open Web Platform Long Description" specification is entirely up to
this TF.

At the same time, we can discuss updating the introduction to the HTML5
specification to indicate that it is not meant as an end-point, but
rather as a part of the greater Open Web Platform Family.

> Leif

- Sam Ruby