Re: Call for Consensus (CFC) to move forward the HTML5 Image Description Extension spec for publication (FPWD)

Following up:

I've heard back from one publisher, Pearson (a major publisher of textbooks and other materials), who is willing to say something publicly about their image-description work.  Paraphrasing somewhat, Pearson is an example of a major publishing house which-- because the status of longdesc is (or has been) questionable and because there are no solid alternatives in place-- has felt forced to entertain possible alternatives for delivering image descriptions to students.  I've alerted them to the existence of the longdesc extension spec; they are "hopeful that @longdesc will be reinstated, because we think it is the best way to handle the image descriptions."

That might be about as close as we're going to get to a publisher saying that they're using, or that they want to use, longdesc.  And speaking solely from a speculative point of view, I think Pearson will be pleased if longdesc is moved forward as an extension specification.

Geoff/NCAM