Re: Consensus on longdesc change proposal

hi sylvia,

>I believe from recent discussions that ARIA specifies no such thing,
>but just that this is just the way in which screenreaders have
>implemented support for aria-describedby.

it is not the way screen readers have implemented aria-describedby, its they
way that it has been implemented in browsers. It has been implemented this
way because the notion of modifying aria-describedby to provide longdesc
like functionality was added much later than when aria-describedby was
specced.

as pointed out previously the feedback from one screen reader developer
(NVDA) was that they do not want to have to provide longdesc like UI
functionality (whatever it is called), it needs to be provided by the
browser.

One of the reasons why longdesc has been problematic in the past is it was
left up to AT to provide access, that cut out a range of other users who do
not use AT but could benefit from longdesc content.

So far no ARIA features have been implemented in a way that can be used by
non AT users, this appears to be by design as those who influence
implementations  believe that ARIA should only affect the 'accessibility
layer' not mainstream aspects of content display and behaviour. But if
aria-descibedby is to be an improvement on longdesc it must be a feature
that is accessible to all not just AT users.

regards
stevef

--
with regards