Re: [media] change proposals for issue-152

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 1:49 AM, Eric Carlson <eric.carlson@apple.com> wrote:

> On Mar 30, 2011, at 9:22 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
>
>>  But I am told, UAs render them simply over each other
>> at the top left corner. In any case, there will be a default rendering
>> IIUC.
>>
>  This is not quite right. Every visual track in MPEG-4 and QuickTime containers, at least, has a display matrix that determines where it is rendered. The movie's display box is the union of all visual track display boxes, eg. the size and position of a visual track affects the size of its movie.
>
>  It is certainly *possible* to render an in-band track in the top left corner, and that may be the default in some media authoring software, but it is not a requirement.

Thanks for the clarification. It confirms though that multiple in-band
video tracks are indeed rendered by default into the existing video
viewport unless they are somehow turned off.

I now wonder: is there actually a means to turn them off and just use
them in a separate audio or video element with a fragment identifier?
In multitrack in-band resources, are the multiple media tracks
typically all activated by default or how is the decision made whether
to render them?