W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-a11y@w3.org > April 2011

Re: [media] proposed a11y TF letter on issue-152

From: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 22:28:22 -0400
Message-ID: <4DAF9646.5020201@intertwingly.net>
To: public-html-a11y@w3.org
On 04/20/2011 09:00 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
> We appreciate the extra time provided to us by the chairs to further
> discuss the submitted four change proposals and come to an agreement.
> There have indeed been lengthy discussions during the provided time
> frame and we have made great progress.

Something to consider: think about what you could do if you had until 
May 14th...[1]

> The group has come to a consensus on which proposal to support. While
> some of our feedback on that change proposal has already been taken on
> board, there is still a list of 5 outstanding changes that need to be
> addressed for the specification text to be complete.

One way to proceed is to see if that number can be reduced between now 
and Friday, and then to have a survey on the remaining items (asking for 
objections to INCLUDING and objections to EXCLUDING each change).  The 
results of the decision will affect what goes out in the Last Call.  The 
standard for revisiting the decision would be New Information or a 
Formal Objection.

Another way to proceed is to open bug reports on each and continue to 
work on them until May 14th.  Changes over which there is WG consensus 
can be made during that time.  Changes that reduce consensus can be 

With the second approach, it still will be possible to raise issues and 
have these issues resolved in time for HTML5 (as in CR, PR, and Rec). 
What you gain if you go this way is a few more weeks to find WG wide 
consensus.  What you lose is the opportunity to get these changes into 
the spec in time for Last Call over objections should the chairs find 
that there to be stronger objections to EXCLUDING these changes than 
there is to INCLUDING these changes.

At this point, the issue has been raised and Change Proposals have been 
written so the only way we will decide to close this issue and proceed 
with bugs is if we have Amicable Consensus to do so.  If anybody objects 
to such an approach, we will go with a survey.

- Sam Ruby

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Mar/0759.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Sep/0125.html
Received on Thursday, 21 April 2011 02:28:53 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 19:55:54 UTC