Re: Media--Technical Implications of Our User Requirements

Philippe Le Hegaret writes:
> On Mon, 2010-07-19 at 16:41 +0200, Philip Jägenstedt wrote:
> > >          + 3.1 Access to interactive controls / menus
> > > An API providing access to:
> > >
> > > volume (for each available audio track)
> >
> > .volume
>
> Is there a need to have simultaneous playing of audio tracks? If
> not, .volume is good enough indeed.

This topic was discussed, but not resolved at last Wednesday's call.

In broadcast, were these audio description originates, there's the media
resource track, and there's the described track which has pre-mixed
description with audio from the primary audio resource.

While it would be possible to continue this practice, there's user
argument to disentangle these in order to enhance functionality, e.g.
allow descriptions to go to just one output device like headphones) while the primary
resource's audio goes to a different device (which the description
consumer can also hear).

Separating the two makes for less data to download--but requires client
side mixing.

Janina

--

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.443.300.2200