RE: ISSUE 30 @longdesc use cases

Jonas Sicking wrote:

> Note that my example has nothing media-specific in it. AT tool users
> also do not see the content when it's read by a screen reader when the
> reader is reading the normal flow of the page.

One of the things that seems to be missing here is that the user of the
screen reader must have a mechanism to read or ignore that alternative
text: it's a user choice thing. So how does the screen reader go from
"reading the normal flow of the page" to "taking a side trip to go read
what this otherwise hidden stuff is about"?  And given that this is now
(again) apparently being targeted to screen readers only, what of those
users who aren't blind that need the expanded text as well? How do they
access content that is otherwise not in the normal flow? Is there a
toggling mechanism for them? Discovery of the alternative text is a big
part of the required functionality.

JF