Re: Profile URIs (and building critical mass in the ESW wiki)

On Tue, 2007-01-23 at 20:06 -0500, Harry Halpin wrote:
> I'm happy to discuss this at not this week's telecon (where I hope we will
> close all our remaining issues!) but at the one the week after (where I
> hope we will go over all the GRDDL documents with a fine-toothed comb in
> preparation for last call). However, I do not think we have to wait for
> critical deployment of GRDDL until going to CR, since that is outside the
> control of the WG. In particular, it is hard to define what "critical
> mass" might entail, and second, I do not know of this "critical mass"
> criteria being applied to previous W3C specs.

Well, the standards game is all about critical mass, no? If you
want a chapter-and-verse quote from the process document, consider
this one:

"Entrance criteria: The Director publishes a W3C Recommendation when
satisfied that there is significant support for the technical report
from the Advisory Committee, the Team, W3C Working Groups, and the
public."
 -- http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/tr.html#rec-publication

Critical mass is tricky to judge. But for my own purposes, I don't
like the idea of investing umpteen months in dotting every i and
crossing every t on the GRDDL spec only to let it sit on a shelf,
if a few more months of concerted effort would get it widely deployed.

To that end, I gave the ESW wiki some love; I mentioned the
GrddlImplementations topic yeterday.
  http://esw.w3.org/topic/GrddlImplementations

My efforts there have already been rewarded: the list grew by
one.

Today I updated the "where can I find more GRDDL profiles and
transforms?" FAQ
  http://www.w3.org/2003/g/data-view#moreDialects
to point to a new ESW wiki topic:
  http://esw.w3.org/topic/CustomRdfDialects

which collects stuff from MicroModels and EmbeddingRDFinHTML
and such.

It also has a blurb on GRDDL and RDFa:

[[
GRDDL is a technique for using XML/XHTML dialects (especially
microformats) as custom RDF syntaxes by having each document point,
directly or indirectly, to a transformation to an RDF graph. RDFa is a
design for mixing RDF syntax into HTML. GRDDL accomodates a wider
variety of dialects at the expense of asking consumers to execute
potentially untrusted code. RDFa allows one parser to work for data from
a variety of domains and provides a direct relationship between the RDF
data and the HTML document structure, which provides better support for
copy-and-paste.

An RDFa document can use GRDDL with something like RDFa2RDFXML.xsl ...
]]