Re: Profile URIs (and how microformat mixing can go wrong)

On 24/01/07, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-01-23 at 19:35 -0500, Harry Halpin wrote:
> [...]
> > > ... though some social/trust issues remain.
> > >  http://microformats.org/wiki/profile-uris
> > >
> > > Oh... I guess some microformats-mixing issue remain, but those
> > > aren't really GRDDL issues.
> >
> > I'd actually like to see a good example of how microformat mixing goes
> > wrong.
>
> Here's a sketch...

>   <a class="summary url" href="http://example/hodown">ho-down</a> at
>   tomorrow
>
> The event should have an url of http://example/hodown but
> not http://example/flippies-restaurant . I asked tantek
> about it, and he said that an hcalendar parser should somehow
> know not to pick up the url inside the vcard. I don't know
> of any code that is that smart; in fact, I think the hcard-parsing
> page doesn't even specify how this works.

Sorry Dan, could you please clarify how the event might end with the wrong
url - which transformation(s) are you applying here?

Then, from the GRDDL perspective, there's the issue of using
> separate glean-hcard.xsl and glean-vcard.xsl transformations:
> norm's glean-vcard produces a bnode for the card, so the
> location field of the event can't refer to it. That's probably
> fixable by using an id for the location, but we haven't worked
> out the details yet.

That sounds like it might be rather fragile. Are any of these relationships
inverse-functional?

>  I'll e-mail Liam Quinn over it, as I remember he brought up an example at
> > talk at Extreme Markup Languages last year [1], but I cannot find his
> > precise example online. I do think microformats-mixing is out of scope
> of GRDDL
> > WG.

But if @profiles are in place then won't this mean that GRDDL doesn't quite
work when it could/should? That would seem in scope. I don't think we should
go into specifics, but perhaps we can identify the kind of circumstances
that lead to (unexpected) incompleteness or misinterpretation.

Cheers,
Danny.

--

http://dannyayers.com