Re: Review of GRDDL Documents and Issues (intro)

At 04:29 PM 9/28/2006 -0500, Dan Connolly wrote:

>While there are many ways to look at documents on the Web,
>some of them are intended by the authors and some are not.
>GRDDL is all about authors being explicit about what ways
>they endorse. So I actually think "There are many ways..."
>works against the aim of the document.
>
>Maybe I'm missing your point. Care to elaborate?

The social value of the sentence is as important as the technical.

The social value is that it admits that there is no "one true way"
to look at XML documents on the web. UBL Orders and Invoices,
for example, are quite explicit about their meaning within the context
of a system that GROKs UBL. The fact that RDF tools can't figure
out what is inside of them (yet) is not a problem per se. The sentence
that I am suggesting says that both the RDF view and the myriad XML
structured document formats all have their place.

The technical value of the sentence is that it serves as a preface to the
sentences that follow. The following sentence implies what my suggested
sentence says explicitly. I can live without it, but I don't see the merit
in excluding it. No harm, no foul.

Murray