Re: PI Blurb..

On Tue, 2006-10-17 at 21:17 -0400, Chimezie Ogbuji wrote:
> Perhaps as a section by itself? - 6a Prior stylesheet associations / Deprecated stylesheet associations

Thanks for the suggestion. I salted to taste, resulting in
an appendix...

[[
Transformations for Styling versus data extraction

The xml-stylesheet processing instruction is generally deployed for
automated presentation processing. This type of link is different from
links to GRDDL transformation algorithms, which are intended to
facilitate extracting data. Also, parsing the content of processing
instructions is not supported by XML tools such as XSLT processors, and
grounding processing instructions in URI space is not as straightforward
as using namespaces with attributes.

]]
 -- http://www.w3.org/2004/01/rdxh/spec#stylepi
 1.120  2006/10/18 06:01:56

> The tone of "Associating Style Sheets with XML documents Version 1.0"
> suggests a segue like this - right before the 'Faithful Rendition
> Guarantee', since the end of that section speaks of other 'related' specifications
> (XProc being one of them):

I put it at the end as an appendix.

(An appendix is something you can
chop off without changing the meaning of the spec, and I think
this qualifies.)

Detailed feedback on your suggested text...

> "The mechanisms by which GRDDL links transformation algorithms to source
> documents for automated processing can be considered

At first I did s/can be considered/is/ but then I re-worded it
more generally.

>  as a more
> appropriate recommendation than xml-stylesheet Processing Instructions.
>
> Though deprecated, xml-stylesheet PIs

The stylesheet PI itself is not deprecated. In fact, "deprecated"
doesn't occur in the stylesheet PI recommendation.

>  are widely supported by
> major browser vendors

I left out "major browser vendors".

>  and generally deployed for automated, presentation processing.

That part I like.

> Although GRDDL is primarily concerned with dialect interpretation, the
> expectation that a user agent would trigger XML transformations against a
> source document automatically is the same in both GRDDL and xml-stylesheet
> PIs."

I don't really understand this bit about how the trigger is the same.
I hope what I came up with above is satisfactory. If not, please
make another suggestion.