Re: Agenda of upcoming Aug. 16 15:00Z GRDDL WG Telecon (scribe tips)

On Wed, 2006-08-16 at 00:36 +0100, Harry Halpin wrote:
[...]
> Then your job would be  to make any corrections to the minutes
> (generally erasing irrelevant material, and doing so fairly promptly in
> about 24 hours)

I'd like to emphasize that. The main job of the scribe is to
send some reasonable record of the meeting to the list
in a timely fashion. Don't let all the fancy bots distract
you too much; a plain text mail message that records
  - attendance
  - topics discussed
  - decisions
  - actions
is enough. Using IRC to take the notes is very handy,
since that way Henry and I can watch real-time to make sure
you're getting the those essential bits. But if you
strongly prefer to just use a text editor, very well.

It's nice if you can capture any technical arguments that
are given orally, but readers should not have overly high
expectations there; if you want to know every word that was
spoken, you have to be there on the phone.

>  and e-mail the draft minutes URI to the list-serv

It's actually pretty important to mail a copy, not just a pointer.
(1) for folks that get mail by POP or the like, they may
not be in a position to follow links when they get the mail
(2) it's really handy to be able to use the email search
engine to find stuff in meeting records. This is less
critical for a WG like ours with public records, since
you can just use google, but it's still handy.

>   for
> review. If there's any corrections, make them before the next meeting
> before we approve the minutes.

The scribe need only spin a new draft of the minutes if the correction
is major. As I said when I sent out last week's minutes:

[[
And here is the record for review. If you see
anything that should be fixed, please note it in
If it's a large change, I'll send another draft.
Otherwise, your correction will be in the archive next
to this one, and we'll note it in the minutes
of the next meeting.
]]