Re: Please declare in GRDDL spec that XML validation is not required

Harry Halpin wrote:
> Actually, as the author of the offending web-page (sorry, it was hacked
> together by hand in my attempt to learn Embedded RDF - I'll fix it up
> and package it up with the VCard/RDF note after we get GRDDL to Last
> Call...), I think the answer is that Raptor is right and GRDDL.py is off.

OK.  I have restored raptor to validating.

> The reason is that while DanC correctly notes we underspecified lots of
> things, we did not underspecify that a GRDDL transforms XPath nodes to
> graphs: " If an information resource([WEBARCH]
> <http://www.w3.org/2004/01/rdxh/spec#WEBARCH>, section 2.2) IR is
> represented by an XML document with an XPath root node R, and R has a
> GRDDL transformation with a transformation property TP, and TP applied
> to R gives an RDF Graph G, then G is a GRDDL result of IR." I believe in
> order to get XPath nodes, once must get an XPath data model: "XPath
> operates on the abstract, logical structure of an XML document, rather
> than its surface syntax. This logical structure, known as the *data
> model*, is defined in [XQuery/XPath Data Model (XDM)]
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath20/#datamodel>.]" [1]
>
> Therefore, if something is not a valid XML document, and Raptor claims
> that VCard Table is not, then it should not produce any GRDDL results.
> However, we do have a use case [2] that shows how tidy can be used to
> get well-formed XML out of tagsoup, and therefore get the Infoset.
> However, the paragraph DanC mentions notes that this should be a feature
> of the transform itself, although clients may try to do this at their
> own risk.

I don't have a handy tagsoup interface, I wasn't going to add tidy (libtidy)
to raptor tight now.

Looking at the page:
>> http://www.ibiblio.org/hhalpin/homepage/notes/vcardtable.html

It's still not HTML-valid

$ xmllint --noout --valid
http://www.ibiblio.org/hhalpin/homepage/notes/vcardtable.html
http://www.ibiblio.org/hhalpin/homepage/notes/vcardtable.html:29: element
div: validity error : ID v.Address already defined
                                                                               ^
http://www.ibiblio.org/hhalpin/homepage/notes/vcardtable.html:48: element
tr: validity error : Element tr content does not follow the DTD, expecting
(th | td)+, got (td td a td td )
     ^
http://www.ibiblio.org/hhalpin/homepage/notes/vcardtable.html:134: element
tr: validity error : ID v.role already defined
                    ^

Dave