Re: Javascript and GRDDL

Stefano - and I might add I'm quite a fan of the Simile worktools and am
currently using them to create a history of interactivity - your
comments from here were forwarded to the GRDDL WG [1]. I'm especially
interested because last time I "demo'ed" GRDDL I used Piggybank and the
various scrapers, and people really liked it. I would in particular I
love it if the GRDDL scraper [2] used in Simile fully implements GRDDL.

You bring up all sorts of relevant points [1], particularly as regards
"scraping." We have not on purpose ignored Javascript or scraping, and
in fact our use-case document [3] has a use-case that not only mentioned
using "tidy" to get valid XHTML out of messy "producer" HTML. Originally
it also had a point about using "scraping" even if a GRDDL profile was
missing, and did mention that it was risky, yet the point was deemed so
risky and we had so little experience with it collectively that the
point was removed. If a case can be made to put it back in, which is
what you seem to be saying [1], then I am interested.

Re deployment, note that if a GRDDL transform can be put in the profile
URI or a namespace document, the author of the instance document does
not even have to explicitly add a link to a GRDDL transform. This
significantly lowers the cost of GRDDL deployment, for as long as we can
get the authors of popular namespaces to deploy transforms, we get RDF
for free.

Also, we have specifically left GRDDL open for use of Javascript
transformations. I understand Javascript has no standardized output
stream, yet without any active Javascript developers for GRDDL it is
hard for the GRDDL WG to provide any guidance. Since we already have
developers in C, Python, and Java actively working on GRDDL
implementations, a Javascript-based GRDDL implementation that uses
Javascript transforms or interfaces with XSLT transforms (or both!)
would be wonderful.

Ben Adida was working on a GRDDL-transformation using Javascript [4],
but due to time constraints he is no longer doing so.

So, as GRDDL has just reached Last Call [5], now would be a good time to
bring up any comments!

[1] http://simile.mit.edu/mail/ReadMsg?listName=General&msgId=15275
[2] http://simile.mit.edu/wiki/GRDDL_Scraper
[3]