Re: Request for pre-review of Linked Data Glossary

Suggestions for first 40 below, which may duplicate others.

 > 1. 5 Star Linked Data

Drop final sentence and mug picture, that's out of place here.

 > 2. 5 Star Linked Data Diagram

Drop this entry.

 > 8. CKAN

Drop this. I agree with James, you would need to either reference *all*
relevant software packages or none. None seems better.

 > 9. Closed World

s/external work/external world/

 > 13. Controlled Vocabularies

Suggested rephrase:

[[[
A controlled vocabulary is a selected set of terms that can be used to
index, tag or describe units of information. By providing a restricted
and managed set of terms they can be used to reduce ambiguity in
information systems. Such vocabularies may be unstructured (e.g. code
lists) or may be organized into increasingly complex knowledge
organization schemes (taxonomies, thesauri, ontologies). In traditional
settings the terms in the controlled vocabularies are words or phrases,
in a linked data setting then they are normally assigned unique
identifiers (URIs) which in turn link to descriptive phrases.
]]]

 > 17. D2RQ
 > 18. D2RQ Platform
 > 19. D2RQ Mapping Language

Given that there is now a W3C standard for this is seems more
appropriate to reference that instead. Delete these and insert:

[[[
R2RML

Language) is a language for expressing customized mappings from
relational databases to RDF datasets. Such mappings provide the ability
to view existing relational data in the RDF data model, expressed in a
structure and target vocabulary of the mapping author's choice.
]]]

 > 20. Database to RDF Queueing

Drop.

[Or if not drop then s/Queueing/Querying/ and change the reference to be
to R2RML.]

 > 23. Data Market

This entry makes no sense to me. I wonder if it was suppose to be "Data
Mart"?

Suggest drop.

If you really meant "Data Market" then suggest entry:

[[[
A Data Market or Data Marketplace is an online (broker) service to
enable discovery and access to a large collection of datasets offered by
a range of data providers. Examples include Infochimps, Azure
Marketplace and Factual.  Data Marketplaces may include open as well as
paid-for data, and may offer value added services such as APIs and
visualizations as well as pure data access.
]]]

 > 24. Data Warehouse

Hmmm. Possible rewrite:

[[[
A Data Warehouse is one approach to data integration in which data from
various operational data systems is extracted, cleaned, transformed and
copied to a centralized repository. The centralized repository can then
be used for data mining or answering analytical queries.
]]]

That rewrite misses out the red-rag-to-a-bull comment on how Linked Data
is an alternative. The story there is a lot more complex than the
existing entry suggests. If you really want something to about the
relationship to linked data then that will take rather more work to
phrase just right.

 > 27. Description Logic

Reads a bit OW1-ish. Maybe replace:

[[[
Two variants of the Web Ontology Language (OWL), specifically OWL Lite
and OWL DL are based on Description Logic.
]]]

with

[[[
The Web Ontology Language (OWL) provides a standards-based way to
exchange ontologies and includes a Description Logic semantics as well
as an RDF based semantics.
]]]

 > 28. Descriptor Resource

Suggest dropping. Doesn't seem like common usage.

 > 30. Directed Graph

Suggest s/differentiated/labelled/

 > 33. Dublin Core Element Set

I tend to think of DC Elements as referring to 1.0 and DC Terms to 1.1.
Certainly the page you link to is called "dmci-terms".

Suggest s/Element Set/Metadata Terms/ in both title and body.

 > 37. Free/Libre/Open Source Software

s/Sour/Source/

s/Sourceforge is a public repository of such software.//
[Either mention all or mention none]

 > 39. Hash URI Strategy

Urgh. That one needs a rewrite (and to be paired with one slash URIs).
Run out of time to suggest something now ...

Dave