Re: Resolving ISSUE-54, relationship of DCAT to VoID

From: John Erickson <olyerickson@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 07:50:36 -0500
To: Phil Archer <phila@w3.org>
Cc: Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>, public-gld-wg@w3.org
I believe the language "...DCAT is designed to describe any sort of
dataset but always within the context of a catalog..." is too strong.
As always with W3C vocabularies, adopters are free to adopt
vocabularies in an  la carte fashion. "Always" looks like "must" to
me. "Usually" is perhaps better?

There are many use cases for DCAT in the scientific community in which
the notion of a catalog does not fit with current practice -- *we*
might be able to make the concept fit, but the scientists might not be
ready to.* Yet the dataset model fits nicely.

John
[*] There are of course many, MANY examples in scientific data
management in which the catalog model fits beautifully...

--
John S. Erickson, Ph.D.
Director, Web Science Operations