Re: Local Standarization Groups

Bart,

I'll add just one perspective…

On 7 Sep 2011, at 15:07, Bart van Leeuwen wrote:
> They created a 'Government Web Metadata Standard' largely based on DCMI terms
…
> My first logical reaction was to encourage them to join the GLD-WG, and to my surprise / disappointment the organization itself didn't show that much interest in W3C.
> As a European country Dutch governments and aligned organizations tend to be more interested in European based standards then international / internet ones.

Note that they based their “Government Web Metadata Standard” on the DCMI Terms. That's not a European standard. It's a standard that was proposed by experts in the relevant field, and that has hugely influenced all sorts of later work.

We should take the success of DCMI as an encouragement for our work in this working group.

National governments – in Europe and elsewhere – will look at prior relevant work when defining their own national standards, and if we do well, then the deliverables of this WG will feed into such national standardization, and may have an impact on national standards similar to the impact that DCMI had.

Best,
Richard