Re: Persistence

On 17 Nov 2011, at 19:26, Sandro Hawke wrote:
> My strawman proposal would be:
>
> - vocabularies should be given their own domain name, probably in .net
> (they are infrastructure).   this way full ownership as well as
> maintenance duties can be transfered, legally, as necessary.

+1. Getting an own domain for the vocabulary also helps keeping the URIs short.

On the other hand, using something like purl.org also seems reasonable.

I'm agnostic regarding the top-level domain. I note that the .net TLD isn't terribly popular and I can't think of many current examples of vocabularies in the .net namespace.

> - there should be a two-level ownership structure, where one
> disinterested, trusted, 3rd party (like the executor of a will) retains
> final control, but delegates to the creator/maintainer.   With written
> policies about what happens in various eventualities.   But, basically,
> if either of these parties loses interest, they can be smoothly
> replaced, and if the creator/maintainer ceases operation or stops acting
> in good faith, it can be replaced.

Again, +1.

Best,
Richard