[User Context] GeoLoc missing API for user justification in prompts

From: timeless <timeless@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2014 19:53:40 -0400
To: James Craig <jcraig@apple.com>
Cc: "public-geolocation@w3.org" <public-geolocation@w3.org>, Indie UI <public-indie-ui@w3.org>, "mandyam@quicinc.com" <mandyam@quicinc.com>
James wrote:
> Giri dropped off the call before this topic came up this morning,
> but the GeoLocation API is missing a way for web apps to explain
> to the user *why* they need access to the user's location.
> It's not always obvious why a blog, news, or conference site wants
> to use my location. I deny these immediately,
> even though I may have allowed some had I known the intended use.

Personally, there's an entire web platform of APIs for this. You can have a
100% opaque div on top of your screen which explains what you want. Just
show the explanation before you ask.

Any time anyone has ever gotten the ability to have browser-trusted-chrome
display a message, they've used it to trick the user.

Meta tags don't work because they don't handle localization/ translations
well.

Note to self: send comments on Indie UI