[User Context] GeoLoc missing API for user justification in prompts

From: James Craig <jcraig@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2014 16:31:59 -0700
Cc: mandyam@quicinc.com
To: public-geolocation@w3.org, Indie UI <public-indie-ui@w3.org>
Giri dropped off the call before this topic came up this morning, but the GeoLocation API is missing a way for web apps to explain to the user *why* they need access to the user's location. It's not always obvious why a blog, news, or conference site wants to use my location. I deny these immediately, even though I may have allowed some had I known the intended use.

We were faced with a similar problem for the IndieUI User Context spec. When the user is prompted to share certain settings with the requesting site, justification may be warranted. We've written up a draft explaining how this could work, and thought the GeoLoc WG may be interested in using something similar.

Indie UI User Context Privacy Model
https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/IndieUI/raw-file/default/src/indie-ui-context.html#privacy-model

See the relevant Section 4.3.1 Example "Prompt with Justification" Dialog. Current thinking is that this justification string be defined with a meta element in the document head. For example:

The GeoLocation WG could use a similar approach:

Please send any IndieUI ED feedback to public-pfwg@lists.w3.org. We're planning to publish a FPWD in June or July.

Thanks,
James Craig

Screen_Shot_2014-05-29_at_2.50.49_PM.png
(image/png attachment: Screen_Shot_2014-05-29_at_2.50.49_PM.png)