Re: Firing events in the deviceorientation spec

On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 2:39 PM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 15:30:47 +0100, Andrei Popescu <andreip@google.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Sure, but we're running out of charter. I don't think we can renew the
>> charter just because we have to tweak the IDL and references....I'm
>> still not sure I understand what you're proposing we do.
>

> You can, but apart from that:
>
> * Define how this feature works with the event loop
> * Remove the init*Event() methods that have been obsoleted and must not be
> introduced now
>
> Now ideally you also define the appropriate event constructors, because
> implementors will want to implement them, and developers will want to use
> them.
>
> I'm not sure what reference game you're playing, but there is nothing in the
> W3C Process document that prevents a W3C Recommendation referencing drafts.

We're not playing any games. What you're saying conflicts with the
information here:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-geolocation/2011Feb/0022.html

> And to define the actual feature a normative reference to HTML is required,
> which in turn depends on DOM. So I'm not really sure why you keep playing
> the ball back to me instead of explaining how any of that makes sense.

Sorry, there's some confusion here: the assumption behind this thread
was that there is something that prevents a W3C Recommendation from
referencing drafts, whereas you say there is nothing like that :)

Perhaps the best avenue here is what James suggests: obtain permission
to advance despite the dependencies. I'm not sure how easy that is to
do, though.

Thanks,