Re: Spec update: deviceorientation event should fire when listener is first registered

From: Andrei Popescu <andreip@google.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 19:42:49 +0100
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Cc: (wrong string) ‚owski <wmaslowski@opera.com>, Dean Jackson <dino@apple.com>, public-geolocation <public-geolocation@w3.org>, Doug Turner <doug.turner@gmail.com>, Steve Block <steveblock@google.com>
On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 3:22 PM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 16:02:01 +0200, Andrei Popescu <andreip@google.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> I also think making ondeviceorientation behave differently to
>> addEventListener() is somewhat unexpected and therefore not a
>> precedent to be followed?
>
> It seems much better than changing the semantics of addEventListener(). That
> certain on* attributes have special behavior is established. That
> addEventListener() has that too, is not. It makes sense to add some special
> handling to certain on* attributes as they are for convenience.
> addEventListener() however, is not, and I would much rather keep it the way
> it is now.

I'm not really convinced. Is it really common knowledge that some on*
attributes behave differently than using addEventListener() for the
same event? Seems like something that's very easy to overlook and that
can cause endless debugging misery. For this reason, I don't really
think we should go down this route for this spec.