Re: Spec update: deviceorientation event should fire when listener is first registered

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 4:34 PM, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net> wrote:
> * wmaslowski@opera.com wrote:
>>Theoretically yes. In practice I don't think this is a problem. Unless
>>your application does something like counting how many times the
>>orientation event fired this shouldn't really change the way your
>>application works. Note that significant change is vague enough so that
>>the applications should not make any assumptions about timing at which
>>they receive event therefore it is reasonable to assume that receiving
>>one additional event should not cause the application to behave any
>>different.
>
> If someone makes a game where players have to click a cow while holding
> their device steady, they might trigger game over when the listener is
> invoked, test, find that does not work because it always gets invoked
> shortly after registration, add a check for whether it's the first time,
> test, find that works okay. Later they add new functionality not keeping
> the odd semantics in mind, someone will sooner or later encounter issues
> with that, and whether that is the developer when testing, or users who
> complain, is anyone's best guess.

If all you need to know is whether the device is still or not,
wouldn't it be easier to use the DeviceMotion Event? I think that
would get around the need to special-case the first event in your
usecase.

Thanks,
Andrei