Re: Privacy considerations for implementors of the Geolocation API

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 11:17 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 16:32:49 +0100, Doug Turner <dougt@dougt.org> wrote:
>>
>> I'd like the consideration section to reflect the intent we had.  I would
>> rather have us leave the MUST but change what we meant to be displayed to
>> the user.  Maybe "HOST of the requesting document".  There are probably
>> others with a better name for this field.
>
> Host is not really good either. You want to know secure versus insecure for
> instance.

Hmm, why is this? Nobody (including Opera) does this at the moment.

> Now whether this is displayed as a lock versus http/https should
> be up to the user agent. In fact, if the user agent comes up with a novel
> idea to clearly indicate what page the dialog belongs to I think that should
> be allowed as well.

If we said "host", that wouldn't prevent the UA from doing what you propose.

> In specifications I have seen to date user interface requirements are never
> a MUST. A SHOULD is really their upper bound.

You're right, but you're also aware of the amount of discussions we
had in this area. I personally think it's fine to leave the
requirement as a MUST and adjust the wording to match the
implementations.

Thanks,