Re: Privacy considerations for implementors of the Geolocation API

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 12:17:18 +0100
To: "Adrian Bateman" <adrianba@microsoft.com>, "Doug Turner" <dougt@dougt.org>
Cc: "public-geolocation@w3.org" <public-geolocation@w3.org>
On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 16:32:49 +0100, Doug Turner <dougt@dougt.org> wrote:
> I'd like the consideration section to reflect the intent we had.  I
> would rather have us leave the MUST but change what we meant to be
> displayed to the user.  Maybe "HOST of the requesting document".  There
> are probably others with a better name for this field.

Host is not really good either. You want to know secure versus insecure
for instance. Now whether this is displayed as a lock versus http/https
should be up to the user agent. In fact, if the user agent comes up with a
novel idea to clearly indicate what page the dialog belongs to I think
that should be allowed as well.

In specifications I have seen to date user interface requirements are
never a MUST. A SHOULD is really their upper bound.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/