Re: Privacy considerations for implementors of the Geolocation API

On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 16:18:20 +0100, Andrei Popescu <andreip@google.com>
wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 11:17 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
> wrote:
>> Host is not really good either. You want to know secure versus insecure
>> for instance.
>
> Hmm, why is this? Nobody (including Opera) does this at the moment.

Okay, maybe it is not too important for dialogs.

>> Now whether this is displayed as a lock versus http/https should
>> be up to the user agent. In fact, if the user agent comes up with a
>> novel idea to clearly indicate what page the dialog belongs to I think
>> that should be allowed as well.
>
> If we said "host", that wouldn't prevent the UA from doing what you
> propose.

It would technically prevent e.g. just showing the name for HTTPS EV
sites. I am not sure it would stop implementors, but it does show MUST is
too strong.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/