Re: Intended usage notification

From: Alissa Cooper <acooper@cdt.org>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 13:11:48 -0400
Cc: "Thomson, Martin" <Martin.Thomson@andrew.com>, Greg Bolsinga <bolsinga@apple.com>, Doug Turner <doug.turner@gmail.com>, public-geolocation@w3.org
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
On Mar 26, 2009, at 6:39 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:
>> - This site just asked me if I wanted to be advertised at based on my
>> location: reject.
>
> (Why would you reject it? Location-based ads are far more useful than
> generic ads.)

There is a trade-off here that some web users recognize. Receiving a
location-based ad might be more valuable than a non-location-based ad,
but some people balance that value against the risk that the site
would, for example, determine whether the location is a doctor's
office and sell that fact to health insurers or drug companies, reveal
the location as part of civil litigation or in response to a
government subpoena, or hand it off to a rogue employee who abuses it
(e.g., for stalking). All of these things happen in reality, whether
with location information or other data exchanged on the web.

This is not a comment on the value of Martin's proposal. I just wanted
to point out that a value proposition exists here and some web users,
given the chance, would choose not to share their information even
when sharing might offer a benefit.