Re: WebIDL, optional attributes

From: Andrei Popescu <andreip@google.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 12:42:07 +0100
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Cc: Marcin Hanclik <Marcin.Hanclik@access-company.com>, public-geolocation <public-geolocation@w3.org>
On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 12:32 PM, Anne van Kesteren<annevk@opera.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 13:27:58 +0200, Andrei Popescu <andreip@google.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 10:40 AM, Marcin
>> Hanclik<Marcin.Hanclik@access-company.com> wrote:
>>> b) interface Coordinates uses type "double".
>>> WebIDL does not know this type. Could we use "float"?
>>> Or if we need more precision maybe {long, long} (a new interface)
>>> should be used?
>>
>> I don't think this is a problem: I haven't seen any implementers
>> complaining about this. 'double' is pretty clear and maps well to JS's
>> Number type.
>
> It is still an issue though. Web IDL does not define how double maps to ECMAScript. In fact, your IDL fragment would not parse. So either you request on public-webapps@w3.org that Web IDL is changed to allow for double or you switch to using float.

I guess using a float is also fine since WebIDL says it maps to Number
in ECMAScript. But why doesn't WebIDL allow double? Numbers in
ECMASctipt are doubles...Anyway, I imagine this was already discussed
by the group defining WebIDL, do you have any pointer to the
discussion? Out of curiosity, I'd like to read it.