Re: Intended usage notification

I certainly recognize the concern from the UA side; I'm just hopeful
we can find some balance to help users make an informed decision.

It seems like there are a number of cases where UAs do show site
content in the browser UI, even though that content might be false or
misleading.  Offhand, I can think of Javascript alerts, the <title>
element, self-signed certificates and the status bar (though I guess
window.status is often disabled by default these days).  And as was
mentioned earlier, Google Gears had a custom UI with a message from
the site, and I suspect most people couldn't distinguish Google Gears
UI from the browser UI.

It seems to me that there's a trade-off here, and I just happen to
think that the risk of adding one more piece of site-generated content
into the browser UI is worthwhile, since I think it's a dangerous
precedent for users to make decisions about revealing personal
information without context of how the information will be kept and
used.  Could UAs mitigate the risk by making it very explicit that
this is content from the site and isn't verified?  (I believe this is
how self-signed certificates are handled.)

Or perhaps free-form text is really the problem for dangerously
misleading users: what if structured fields were used (like a boolean
re-transmission and date for retention, as was suggested by geopriv)
rather than an arbitrary string from the requesting site?  That way a
malicious site couldn't use the browser chrome for expansive phishing
purposes, they would only be misrepresenting a couple of properties of
their privacy policy.

[Response on a website using its own UI on the other fork of this
thread.  Sorry, there's a lot to respond to here.]

Thanks for all the feedback,
Nick