http://geo.webvm.net/ multiple provider demo & ClientInformation

From: Kai Hendry <hendry@aplixcorp.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 16:11:57 +0100
To: public-geolocation@w3.org

Thoughts after playing around with Firefox beta 3 beta 1 on a "hello
world" demo:
http://geo.webvm.net/

The current FF 3.1b1's default native error message "Error retrieving
your location: " (without a nsIGeolocationProvider) could be better.
How about "no providers found?"

How does the demo know that I cheated with a virtual GPS? :)
I have noticed ClientInformationGeolocation... though that does not
seem to work for me. Oh and ClientInformation in html5 has been
renamed to navigator the #whatwg people tell me:
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#system-state-and-capabilities

Will plugins and scripts be allowed to set values on the navigator
object? I would like to simply see something like
geolocation.getInfo() return with a string "Virtual GPS 0.41 by doug".

Wish there could be a pleasant way in Javascript to give people the
choice which provider to use. nsIGeolocationProvider is cool but can
it be implemented via NPAPI easily? I wonder if Gears will implement
that interface.

Kind regards,