Re: Forward/backward compatibility

Hi Andrei,

 > I think your argument can be summarized as follows: some systems only
 > know the civic address where a set of desktop computers is located.
 > Given that in a subset of these cases the civic address does not
 > geocode to a precise (lat, long) pair, then this API should make the
 > geodetic coordinates optional on the basis that they may not always be
 > useful.

I would make two corrections to that:
1. Remove the word "Desktop".  This could apply equally well to mobile
hosts.
2. It's not just that a lat/long/accuracy isn't always useful, it's that
it can actually be deceptive.  (See below.)

 > In my opinion, this argument is flawed since the concept of usefulness
 > should be left entirely to the application that receives the location
 > data. There are classes of applications that perfectly happy with
 > city-level accuracy so, to them, the coordinates that result from
 > geocoding a civic address are perfectly useful.

... except that cities aren't circular.  If I describe Washington, DC by
a lat/long at the Washington monument, plus a big enough radius to
enclose all of DC, then I get significant chunks of two other *states*
as well.  How is an app supposed to tell which jurisdiction I'm trying
to tell him?  I could make a circle that lies entirely inside the
District, but that leaves out a lot of area.  The same applies to
buildings.

Like you said, there are apps that are interested in claims like "I'm in
this city" or "I'm in this building", and there are location providers
that can only provide that level of detail.  If you want to make
statements like that, without artificially decreasing precision or
claiming to increase it, you either need complex geodetic shapes or
civic addresses.  The latter are far easier to implement, both for
location provider and application providers.

--Richard