Re: [compositing-1] please move non-separable effects to Level 2

On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 8:42 AM, Dean Jackson <dino@apple.com> wrote:

> As of https://trac.webkit.org/r167448 WebKit supports mix-blend-mode
> unprefixed.
>
> We did this knowing that we will be unable to implement the non-separable
> modes in the near future (hue, saturation, color and luminosity). We
> suggest these be moved to Level 2 of the specification.
>
> If they are not moved, we’ll probably put the prefix back on, because we
> don’t want to ship a non-prefixed incorrect implementation.

I don't see why this is necessary. If there are values you don't support,
so be it ... that doesn't mean the entire property needs to be prefixed*.
As soon as those values are present in a level 2 spec, in practice you'll
be back to exactly the same situation you're in now.

* Or better still, disabled. Prefixes hurt the Web. Can you point to an
explanation of why Webkit prefers prefixes over the Gecko/Blink approach of
user-accessible flags to enable/disable experimental features?

Rob
waanndt  wyeonut  thoo mken.o w