Re: [web-anim] Web animations minutes, 31 October 2012

Thanks for your response and explanation.

It's clear that the two should sit at separate cascade levels, to clarify
which wins in the case of an overlap. But it still isn't clear to me that
the cascade levels should be non-adjacent.

Is there a strong desire for transitions to sit as high in the cascade as
possible? What does it buy us? Would it be acceptable to put transitions
directly above animations, and below the user stylesheet?

The problem we are anticipating in Web Animations is that it will be
significantly more difficult to implement CSS Transitions and Animations
using Web Animations components if the contributions of these two types of
animation end up being influenced differently by user styles. Ideally we
would like to see all of CSS Transitions, CSS Animations and SVG Animations
acting in a unified manner on a web document to produce animated content.

Obviously if there are strong reasons for this difference then we just need
to cope, but absent a strong reason I think the desire within the FXTF to
unify SVG Animations with CSS Transitions and Animations forms a reasonably
strong reason to keep the cascade levels adjacent.

Cheers,
    -Shane