Re: Comma separation in functional syntax (filters, transforms)

On 15/12/2011 1:05 AM, Dirk Schulze wrote:

>> On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 6:11 PM, Simon Fraser<smfr@me.com>  wrote:
>>> CSS Filters [1] is using a comma-free syntax for arguments to the filter functions. This leads to things like:
>>>
>>>   filter: gamma(0.5 0.2 0.2);
>>>
>>> I think it's wrong for this to be different to transforms[2], which currently uses commas. We have to do one or the other, not mix and match.
>>>
>>> Simon
>>>
>>> [1] https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/FXTF/raw-file/tip/filters/index.html#FilterFunction
>>> [2] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-2d-transforms/
>>
>> This change was made at my request to match other functions which we
>> are attempting to develop in a comma-less manner when possible.
>
> Maybe the comma in CSS3 transforms can get optional like for SVG transforms[1]? We would get a common pattern across CSS features.
>
> Dirk
>
> [1]  http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/coords.html#TransformAttribute

To my knowledge all CSS2.1, CSS3 and CSS4 has a comma delimited value
strings when they are within parenthesis. This,

filter: gamma(0.5, 0.2, 0.2);

is much the same as these uses.

color: rgba(0, 1,, 255, 0.2);

background: linear-gradient(blue, white);

Tab, which functions is the CSS WG attempting to develop that are
comma-less in manner.

Dirk, are you aware of the parsing nature of CSS when concerning error
recovery after parsing errors. Currently this part of CSS2.1 still needs
work.

http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/REC-CSS2-20110607/syndata.html#parsing-errors

Being optional also means optional error recovery.

--
Alan Gresley
http://css-3d.org/