Re: Where should editorial resources on transforms go?

On Dec 1, 2011, at 12:27 PM, L. David Baron wrote:

> We (Mozilla) would like to help the CSS transforms spec advance,
> i.e., get open issues resolved and help the spec advance to CR and
> beyond.
>
> What I'm a bit confused about right now, however, is this:  if we
> have someone who could help with editing, what spec should they be
> helping with?
>
> Right now I'm aware of:
>  http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-2d-transforms/
>    the original 2-D transforms spec

This is just about to be published as working draft with a notice pointing to css3-transforms.

Do you have edits which should be done before the WD goes out? We didn't see any more issues in bugzilla.

>  http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-3d-transforms/
>    the original 3-D transforms spec

I think we should do one final WD of this, but it will take  bit longer, before migrating its contents into csswg/css3-transforms/

>  http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-transforms/
>    a spec that I thought was going to be a merger of the above two,
>    but looks like it has only 2-D

This is Vincent's combined spec, and I think should be the ultimate, all-singing all-dancing 2D/3D/SVG transforms spec.

>  http://dev.w3.org/Graphics-FX/modules/2D-transforms/spec/2DTransforms.html
>    an attempt to unify SVG and CSS transforms; also 2-D only

I think this is now obsoleted by csswg/css3-transforms/.

> My inclination would be to contribute resources towards the first
> two specifications, since they appear to be the closest to being
> stable.  Is that an incorrect impression?  Is there anything *wrong*
> with advancing these documents under the assumption that one or both
> of the last two documents might later be the next level of the
> transforms specification?

The intent (resolved on, I believe), was that 2d-transforms and 3d-transforms would each
have one final WD with an obsoletion notice, after which work would go into the combined spec.

Simon