W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-fx@w3.org > July to September 2011

Re: Updated Filters 1.0 editor's draft

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 10:21:50 -0700
Message-ID: <CAAWBYDDFDHToRmoMXQX74ubvBcbpTsoSDNK5MgW-KtJo3Myk-A@mail.gmail.com>
To: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Cc: Dean Jackson <dino@apple.com>, "public-fx@w3.org" <public-fx@w3.org>
On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 10:17 AM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 30, 2011, at 9:17 AM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>> As a sidenote, while I understand the historic reasoning behind the
>> name of the unsharp() function, it's really super-confusing to have
>> something that sharpens an image be named "unsharp".  Could we change
>> this to just "sharpen" or something?
> Is it like PhotoShop's unsharp mask? If so, that is a pretty well known, well used filter for designers, photographers, and others working in PhotoShop. It is more than just a simple 'sharpen' (which is also available in PhotoShop).

Yes, it is - you blur the input, then subtract the input from the blur.

I don't know the mechanics of Photoshop's "sharpen" filter.

Received on Tuesday, 30 August 2011 17:22:44 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 19:49:38 UTC