Re: Dropping angle-bracket syntax for animation

Hi, Vincent-

Vincent Hardy wrote (on 8/8/11 5:43 PM):

> On 8/5/11 5:23 PM, "Dean Jackson"<dino@apple.com>  wrote:
>
>>[trimming the cc list]

>>>  Since we have an action (ACTION-48 - Write up use-cases and priority
>>>list
>>>  of features to be added to css animations [on Dean Jackson - due
>>>  2011-08-02]), I think that means we had agreement during the meeting on
>>>  that direction.
>>
>>That's my understanding too. I think we can start from the excellent wiki
>>page that Brian authored. At least, that's what I planned to do.
>
> Thanks for confirming.
>

>>At the risk of reigniting the thread that had finally died down, I do not
>>think we should drop the SMIL syntax from SVG (I believe I argued
>>similarly months ago when it came up here). I do understand Microsoft's
>>hesitation to implement a feature that people are not requesting. The
>>people on this list unfortunately don't count as regular users, and CSS
>>animations are already more widespread, so it makes sense to somewhat
>>prioritize effort in that direction.
>
>> From a tool perspective, SMIL is easy to manipulate/transform/round-trip
> than CSS animations are because there is an easy structure to manipulate.
> This said, it has some short comings that Brian's summary highlight, most
> importantly the ability to target multiple elements and
> attributes/properties.

This doesn't have to be an inherent limitation of SMIL syntax.  Back in
2004, I proposed a way to reuse declarative animations:

  http://svg-whiz.com/BAM/#section3

SVG already has an architecture geared toward reuse of resources, from
paint servers (like gradients) to graphics features (like filters,
clipping paths, masks, and so on) to graphics themselves (like <use>,
markers, etc.).  Reusing animations seems very natural to me.

>Better animation group into a common time container
> would also be very helpful in SVG (and CSS Animations for that matter).

Agreed.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Staff Contact, SVG, WebApps, Web Events, and Audio WGs