Re: CSS Animations Targeting SVG attributes

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 9:56 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>wrote:

> Animations are *not* designed to handle state transitions from one
> value to another, and trying to use them as such is an invitation to
> infinite pain once you step beyond the most trivial cases.

Can you explain that in more detail?

This must
> be usable in Transitions as well, so we can build extensions to
> Transitions to make them sufficiently powerful.

OK, that implies a hard requirement that arbitrary CSS rules be able to
override any SVG attribute value. Whatever syntax you choose, that means
effectively minting a lot of new properties. Someone should make a list of
all the new properties that will be needed.

Since they only apply to SVG elements, presumably implementations can
> specialize and only add the necessary data structures to SVG elements,
> not HTML elements and similar.

It doesn't work like that because SVG properties can inherit through non-SVG
elements. Likewise you can call getComputedStyle on a non-SVG element and
observe non-initial values.

Rob