Re: Jan 10 2011 FXTF telcon cancelled

On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 07:42:16 +0100, Dirk Schulze <vbs85@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>> * SVG/CSS Filter spec (now moved to FXTF cvs-space)
>>    http://www.w3.org/mid/op.vox4q5u2geuyw5@localhost
>>

> I guess that the discussion about SVG Filters should be hear as well, or
> on the www-svg mailing list?

I think the discussion makes more sense to have here, but there's a wider
audience on www-style.

> Regarding to feDropShadow. The current specification text is talking
> about the color of the shadow. Don't we need to define new color and
> opacity attribute? Similar  to feFlood it would be dropShadow-color and
> dropShadow-opacity.

Maybe, another option is to use e.g fill and fill-opacity (or
flood-color/flood-opacity) for this. I'm not really sure why there's a
need to add new custom color properties that can only be used in one place.

> Is there maybe a way to combine both to just color and opacity for both
> effects? I believe that this would be easier for content creaters and
> currently we don't react on 'color' anyway in a filter primitive IIRC.

Not exactly sure what you mean. Do you mean combine like using rgba
syntax, or something else? The current feDropShadow functionality is
modelled after what you can do with box-shadow/text-shadow.

Rgba syntax in all svg attributes that accept a <color> is already
implemented in all the svg-supporting browsers AFAIK.

> Also, I saw some discussions about the meaning of stdDeviation and blur
> radius. It would be great to harmonize all the definitions for CSS
> shadows, Canvas shadows and feDropShadow.

Do you have a pointer to that discussion? I agree that it would be good to
see if it's possible harmonize the definitions.

Cheers
/Erik

Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group