Re: @ref vs @nodeset

Hi Erik and Nick,

I also see only benefits in the simplification proposal, except that it is
entirely but only appropriate for local attributes, not global attributes
in the XForms namespace.  I thought this was pretty clear in my last
email, but you guys skipped it, so I'll try again.

In Nick's preceding mail, he makes the point that the form author should
not have to think much about the kind of binding needed, and I agree with
that too.  But again, the rationale is entirely but only appropriate for
local attributes, not global attributes in the XForms namespace.

An XForms processor cannot possibly know what kind of binding a custom
control will want.  So, everything you propose is appropriate for the ref
and bind attributes, but not for xforms:ref and xforms:bind.

One way to solve the problem is to go forward with the simplification,
deprecate nodeset attribute, ***and either***

1) deprecate xforms:ref and xforms:bind (which ODF currently uses) and
instead advise consumer host language designers that they must import @ref
and @bind into their own namespace and define what kind of binding it
creates (this is what Nick proposes)

***or ***

2) define a specific meaning for xforms:ref and xforms:bind corresponding
to the most probable use, which would likely be a single-node UI binding,
and possibly include some kind of extra attribute to control aspects of
binding.

Either solution seems to work *for the global attributes*.  Can you guys
give some further thought to the specific issue of the meaning of a global
attribute in the XForms namespace?

Finally, Erik, I don't think your opening question about @bind has
anything to do with the problem I am trying to get you to think about,
which is the expected behavior of *global attributes* versus local
attributes.

Your point is that "we already have a problem distinguishing between the
ref semantic versus the nodeset semantic due to the use of @bind, i.e. we
already have to automatically distinguish between single node UI binding
and nodeset UI binding when @bind is used, so the ref vs. nodeset
distinction is artificial."  I get it.  Agreed.  Peace. Much love.  Two
fist bumps to my chest.

In fact, the first part of my prior email *magnified* your point here. Not
only must we distinguish between the "first node rule"+"UI events and
MIPs" behavior of a ref vs. the absence of those two properties on a
nodeset, but we also must distinguish nodeset as template repeater vs.
nodeset as a simple nodeset, and we must also already automatically
distinguish ref as single node UI binding vs. ref as a simple first node
XPath.  And, by implication, these distinctions are also automatically
being made when the form author uses the bind attribute.

So, the net is that an XForms 1.1 processor does quite a bit of work
distinguishing which of *multiple* features to activate for a binding
when... a *local* binding attribute is used.  The XForms processor can
afford to *automatically* make this distinction because the XForms *owns
the definition of the containing element*.  XForms does not own the
definition of a custom foreign-namespaced element, so an XForms processor
cannot offer a globally namespaced xforms:bind or xforms:ref attribute
whose behavior automatically adapts to the properties of foreign
namespaced elements that the XForms processor doesn't know anything about.

On the other hand, the processor for the foreign namespaced element is
perfectly capable of reading its own *local* attribute and assigning to it
a specific kind of XForms binding that it creates by calling *APIs* of the
XForms processor (the existence of which would be at least implied by the
binding definitions in the XForms specification, even if an exact IDL
interface definition were not provided).  Heck, they wouldn't even have to
call the attributes ref or bind, though we could recommend they do.

John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
STSM, Lotus Forms
IBM Victoria Software Lab
E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com