Re: XForms 1.1 RNC Schema xf:instance

Hi Leigh,

I agree.  I don't know why it would say anyElement* since if you put more
than one element, processing will halt with an exception anyway.

If there is a src attribute, it takes precedence over inline content, so
perhaps there "should" be nothing there, but you don't get an exception if
there is, so there is not a real need to enforce it.

There is an analogous co-occurrence constraint with resource, but it works
the other way around.  If there is inline content, then the resource
attribute is ignored.  So one might be inclined to say there should not be
a resource attribute if there is inline content.  However, the reason I
advocated for the resource attribute is so that a document (e.g. ODF, XFDL
or even prepopulated HTML) could be responsive to state other than the
initial empty states without having to modify the part of the document
associated with the "application" description, which may be digitally
signed. So, it is expected that inline instance data and the resource
attribute can co-exist and that the well-defined precedence order
indicates what to do.  It is not unreasonable, then, to take the same
approach for handling co-occurrence of src and inline data.

Cheers,
John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
STSM, Lotus Forms
IBM Victoria Software Lab
E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com

Blog RSS feed:

xforms.instance.content = xforms.anyElement*
xforms.instance.content = xforms.anyElement?

There may lexical co-occurrence constraints with @src but there are none
with @resource so I believe this change is sufficient.

Leigh.