From: public-forms-request@w3.org [mailto:public-forms-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of John Boyer
Sent: maandag 11 januari 2010 23:18
To: Klotz, Leigh
Cc: Forms WG
Subject: Re: XForms 1.1 RNC Schema xf:instance

Hi Leigh,

I agree.  I don't know why it would say anyElement* since if you put more than one element, processing will halt with an exception anyway.

If there is a src attribute, it takes precedence over inline content, so perhaps there "should" be nothing there, but you don't get an exception if there is, so there is not a real need to enforce it.

There is an analogous co-occurrence constraint with resource, but it works the other way around.  If there is inline content, then the resource attribute is ignored.  So one might be inclined to say there should not be a resource attribute if there is inline content.  However, the reason I advocated for the resource attribute is so that a document (e.g. ODF, XFDL or even prepopulated HTML) could be responsive to state other than the initial empty states without having to modify the part of the document associated with the "application" description, which may be digitally signed. So, it is expected that inline instance data and the resource attribute can co-exist and that the well-defined precedence order indicates what to do.  It is not unreasonable, then, to take the same approach for handling co-occurrence of src and inline data.

Cheers,
John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
STSM, Lotus Forms
IBM Victoria Software Lab
E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com

Blog RSS feed: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/rss/JohnBoyer?flavor=rssdw

"Klotz, Leigh" <Leigh.Klotz@xerox.com>

"Forms WG" <public-forms@w3.org>

01/11/2010 10:04 AM

XForms 1.1 RNC Schema xf:instance

We should change
xforms.instance.content = xforms.anyElement*
xforms.instance.content = xforms.anyElement?

There may lexical co-occurrence constraints with @src but there are none with @resource so I believe this change is sufficient.

Leigh.