Re: context for origin on xf:insert

Hi David,

I think that the creation of helper actions that simplify the common use
patterns of insertion and deletion is certainly in keeping with the
overall 1.2 goal of simplifying authoring, and it seems that one channel
of info for these should be the better table of "common insert/delete
tasks" that Uli and I are obligated by action item to create.

I'm particularly fond of the idea of writing the new actions as more
direct codings of common insert/delete tasks because it eliminates
confusion over what type of events to dispatch to the instance.  This was
one issue we had the last time this came up.  It seemed like a
proliferation of new events would show up rather than just having
xforms-insert to indicate that a node was added (regardless of how) and
xforms-delete to indicate that a node was deleted (regardless of which
action did the deletion).

Regarding the issue of whether or not to generalize the context attribute,
I hear you.

I've brought it up because generalizing @context has come up in the past
as a possible way to solve certain problems, such as how to set the
context for a group without consuming the MIPS associated with the node.

But, I think perhaps we should consider solving problems like that
*without* expanding the context attribute beyond its current use in
insert/delete.  Two reasons.

First, we already have  a more general form of the problem with ref. There
are things that use ref which should only consume some or perhaps none of
the MIPS, e.g. setvalue and message don't seem like they should consume
MIPs like relevant and readonly, and trigger and group seem like they
should only consume relevant.

Second, the conclusion that @context is specific to insert/delete would
mean that we could leave it as evaluating *after* if and while.  This is
more comfortable to me (I found the idea of evaluating context before
if/while to be unnerving, esp. on insert.delete).  It is also more
compatible with the current version of XML Events 2.0.

Finally, regardless of the outcome of the above, it does seem like
insert/delete  should use @context regardless of whether the nodeset
binding is expressed with @nodeset or with @bind.  How do you feel about
that?

Thanks,
John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
STSM: Lotus Forms Architect and Researcher
Chair, W3C Forms Working Group
IBM Victoria Software Lab
E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com

David Landwehr <david.landwehr@picoforms.com>
Sent by: www-forms-request@w3.org
08/14/2007 02:48 AM

John Boyer/CanWest/IBM@IBMCA
cc
"Mark Birbeck" <mark.birbeck@formsPlayer.com>, "Aaron Reed"
<aaronr@us.ibm.com>, www-forms@w3.org
Subject
Re: context for origin on xf:insert

Dear John and working group,

I know you addressed Mark Birbeck and Aaron in your mail but I feel that I
must reply.

There is no doubt that the added functionality for insert and to some
degree delete for XForms 1.1 is required to solve the most simple usecases
which cannot easily be solved in XForms 1.0. As you might all know the
group first decided to enhance the functionality of insert and delete
which I did some initial write up for in Cannes some years ago. While I
was explaining to the group at the F2F what the different attributes meant
in different scenarios most of the people there looked confused and very
unhappy. Additional several more points was made which was not covered by
my write up. Under this meeting Mikko suggested the much simple approach
to simple make separate actions for each functionality. A decision which I
was very happy with and lead to the actions destroy and duplicate (actions
which took me under 1 hour to implement and test). Additional these
actions provided a clarity  when used in a form because it
was apparent what was suppose to happen. Also the write up in the
specification was pretty simply and to my eyes pretty easy to follow.

I have numerous times complained about the removal of destroy and
duplicate and argued that the new actions were to complicated (just as my
write up was at Cannes). But since the group don't have a voting practice
and because members keep bringing closed issues back on the table, then at
the time I didn't feel up to do the struggle/fighting needed for keeping
the two actions. I must admit that the write up of the insert action in
particular is impressive, it solves all problems and provides a lot of
functionality. Regrettably the action does it on the cost of complexity
for authors and to some degree implementors (e.g. making sure all corner
cases are implemented according to the specification).

As last call is over there is not much to do about. But I urge the working
group members to compare the insert and duplicate action and consider the
different design approaches for the future versions of the specification:
1) The insert action in XForms 1.1
http://www.w3.org/TR/xforms11/#action-insert
2) The duplicate action
http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-xforms11-20041115/#duplicate-action

I would also like to express a desire to the group *not* to make the
context attribute available everywhere. Context rules are daunting enough
as it is and adding more context controlling attributes containing XPath
is not the way to make it easier for authors.

Best regards,
David Landwehr