Re: Web Identity specification and Social Web

On 3/2/14 10:01 PM, Manu Sporny wrote:
> Yes, but there's never going to be a one size fits all solution. It's
> the Web, afterall.:)
>
> What we need to do is provide something that developers can sink their
> teeth into, and providing a large array of options from the beginning is
> a bad way to go.

This is how we always end up messing up what AWWW puts on a platter.
Imagine if this was the world view at the core of AWWW.

The trick here is a delicate balance whereby architecture leads to
leg-like pieces (or jigsaw puzzle pieces) that are loosely-coupled by
design. Look at AWWW and note it gives you a solution for:

1. entity denotation
2. document location denotation
3. message exchange
4. negotiated content representation
5. logic expression and representation.

>   Choice is good, but it can also be crippling.

This isn't about choice, it is about loose-coupling and solid
architecture that stands the test of time. Today, we have Web 2.0 that's
made a complete mockery of what AWWW is all about. We have identity,
privacy, and data silos running rings around everyone that adopts the
"simply simple" over "deceptively simple" paradigm for system architecture.

There are no reasons for bad architecture.

Bad architecture always starts with terminology mangling and layer
conflation.

>   This is
> one of the biggest problem w/ the Semantic Web, often new entrants are
> flattened by an ever increasing snowball of perfectly viable options.

The Semantic Web == The World Wide Web. There is no difference bar the
fact that the resolution of relation semantics that constitute the mesh
known as the World Wide Web [1].

[1] http://bit.ly/10Y9FL1 -- original design of the World Wide Web
[2] http://bit.ly/L3SqR6 -- Semantic Web
[3] http://bit.ly/1o7pcRb -- Semantics