Re: Federation protocols

On 31 May 2013 16:52, Michał 'rysiek' Woźniak <rysiek@fwioo.pl> wrote:

> > What do you think the reasons for Facebook's success were? Why did users
> > leave Myspace for Facebook?

There were Terms of Service changes that were definitely not to users'
> liking,
> which incidentally were similar to what Instagram did after being bought by
> Facebook. Of course that was a minor issue, but issue none the less (I
> remember talking to my friends in ~2008 about it, and it was a factor in
> their
> decision to ditch MySpace).

There's a huge friction to switching and you haven't identified what
Facebook was doing differently to encourage users to move over. Why were
early adopters joining before their friends were on Facebook?

I'd argue that facebook was simple and easy to use and solved a problem
that college students had very very well. And kept iterating. I'd also
argue that their introduction of the App platform gave the product a second
life and helped create an ecosystem of developers that wanted to build
products for the end users.

So what is the problem that open social networks will solve very very well?

S.

PS: I disagree on the super-federated diaspora-buddycloud-pump network
being a silver bullet because I expect there's a 90% user overlap on each
of them :)

--
Simon Tennant | buddycloud.com | +49 17 8545 0880 | office hours:
goo.gl/tQgxP