Re: Proposal to develop best practice document to focus work of W3C FSW Community Group

On 9 May 2013 09:05, Andreas Kuckartz <A.Kuckartz@ping.de> wrote:

> Darrell Prince`:
> > I'm interested in helping. I am just now looking at w3's work, having
> > been in my own silo on this for about 5 years..
>
> Welcome in the team!
>
> > But how many people support it and developers and all that just means
> > we should try to lobby Facebook.
>
> Yes, and Google etc.
>
> BTW: They employ people who are very well aware of the issues. Quite a
> few of the interesting standards were developed by those people. And
> some relevant standards are supported by these companies to some extent.
>
> At the same time promising standards are being developed and currently
> are used by a only a very small number of people but which very likely
> will be used more widely in the not-so-distant future. (Example: the
> Linked Data standard JSON-LD).

Just a FYI before this was a community group it was an XG (Dan A was one of
the chairs)

We had outreach to about 50 projects and big companies including Facebook,
Google and Microsoft, by way of teleconferences.

I think I was the only person that attended every teleconf, and I have to
say the response was overwhelmingly positive wrt wanting to implement
standards or incubate them.

In particular, David Recordon of Facebook, and Dan Brickley now at Google,
have done fantastic work bringing new standards such as linked data to a
mainstream audience.  Some initiatives that stand out are that facebook now
serve all their profiles using web standards such as Turtle and
Google/Microsoft/Facebook/W3C have aligned efforts in microdata /
schema.org/ opengraphprotocol

Id love to see this trend continue and for some greater uptake from the
Free and Open Source Community too.  As such perhaps a guide would be
instructive for engineers to show the advantages of web scale
interoperability on the social web.