Re: Proposal to develop best practice document to focus work of W3C FSW Community Group

On 2013-05-08 14:56, Andreas Kuckartz wrote:
> Michiel B. de Jong:
>> i think instead of creating a best practice document, we can just
>> make
>> sure the wiki is complete and up-to-date:
>>

>> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/federatedsocialweb/wiki/Main_Page
>
> Yes, updating the Wiki is necessary. Volunteers are welcome ;-)

wait, i don't understand your reply. i meant that this document should
be a subset of the content of the wiki. so then:

1) the current wiki content is a good starting point for this document
2) we can use the wiki instance as our document versioning system, by
simply making every section we write into a wiki page (instead of
emailing it around etc.)
3) as we write the new best practice document, we are updating the
wiki, because the best practice document is a subset of the wiki

so then "best practice document volunteers" === "wiki volunteers".

and yes, i totally agree this initiative is very welcome! it is easy to
sometimes forget how incredibly important this tiny discussion group is
for the future of the world's (social) infrastructure as a whole.

> I did not propose any procedures on how to make potentially
> controversial decisions. But it is possible that votes are also
> relevant
> information for readers of the document.

ok, fair enough!

> And sometimes it can help to promote interoperability by explicitly
> recommending one of two or more alternatives. But we do not need to
> discuss that now. We can do that when such a concrete controversy
> arises.

sounds like a plan.

> In general the document can and should concentrate on those aspects
> where there is rather broad consensus. I am confident and hopeful
> that
> the document will not be empty when this is a guideline.

great! let's do it. but as i said, let's use the existing wiki as our
content management system for this.

My 2ct,
Michiel de Jong.